Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Grow Your Own Ratatouille In This Year’s Vegetable Garden

Last year, I made ratatouille for the first time. You can guess that I was inspired by Disney’s Ratatouille- making rat. Not only was I surprised how good it was, but it was the first time that my young nieces and nephew begged to eat a purely vegetarian meal. They were shocked that I could make something supposedly so complicated that they really wanted to try it. Best of all, this is a meal that will keep months in the freezer and taste as good when it is reheated as it did on the day I first made it. I combined three different recipes to make my version (which I will post on this site during the harvest season), but if you want to grow your own ratatouille for your family (and freezer), you should plan on growing the following (all of which Stoddart Gardeners will be able to obtain from me – in seedling or seed form -- upon request at no charge): onions, garlic, eggplants, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, parsley, basil and oregano.

Sorry, I don’t think that we’ll be able to grow and make our own olive oil, salt or black pepper this year – so you’ll have to buy those ingredients on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment