Friday, April 18, 2014

Getting Down to Basics

The recent freeze was not kind to my tiny asparagus patch, but everything else seems to be hanging in there.  Susan was looking for study materials before she started planting and brought to my attention a new phone app and website called Sprout It with lots of gardening tips and information.   As for books, I referred her to my post from 2009 about my favorite gardening books (and will bring most of these books with me on Saturday morning for her and the other new gardeners to peruse).   Also, I posted information in 2011 about how to know when to plant what.

Yesterday, my cousins Krystle and Eric helped me to return the wheelbarrows and tools we borrowed from Rebuilding Together’s Tool Library.  We then headed over to the SACG so that she could put some of her seedlings into the ground.  We built a make-shift trellis for her peas from the bent-up fence that was replaced last Saturday. (We love to recycle at the SACG).   I also showed her and Eric some of our tools.

Many of the neighborhood kids came running over and wanted to plant as well.  So, they partnered up to share raised beds and began planting carrots, lettuce, and cauliflower.  I had to stop them from planting tomatoes, peppers and beans because it is still way too early.  Now, if I could just train them to return their tools and gloves to the shed . . . . .  When I told them that Eric flies Blackhawk helicopters, only Joon-Joon was interested . . . . It’s very hard to impress these kids.
As we were leaving, Susan popped over on her cute Vespa to see if we needed help.  That's when I found out that Krystle also has a Vespa.  So, I left them there chatting about all things Vespa.

On Saturday, I’ll be there to plant potatoes and weed my plot, as well as help the new gardeners get started.  I noticed that our final yellow tea rose seems to be dead, so we’ll probably have to replace it next week when we celebrate Earth Day.  On Saturday, April 26, we’ll also be thinning our strawberry patch, raking up brambles and planting perennial flowers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment