Saturday, June 9, 2012

Franklin Park Area Block Watch Demonstrates Flower Power

I've received a number of comments recently about the pretty flower beds in the lot across the street from the SACG.  No, they are not part of the SACG, although we are glad they are there.  Those flower beds are one of the projects of the Franklin Park Area Neighborhood Block Watch.    However, volunteerism being what it is during this hot summer, they have been landscaped, planted, watered and tended almost exclusively by Barb and Frank Carter -- two SACG gardeners.
I am more of an English cottage gardener myself, but Barb likes things more structured.  As reported here last year, the first bed was designed and planted along East Main Street.  Barb and Frank initially planned to plant another two or three beds this year along Stoddart like the one along East Main Street.  I obtained -- through the City-County community garden grant this year -- many, many bags of mulch for this project.   However, as faithful readers may recall from my description of Kelly and me planting cherry trees, there is nothing but gravel aggregate one inch below the soil. When Barb and Frank discovered this, they briefly despaired.   Luckily, a friend of Frank's from OSU Hospitals (where he works) was re-landscaping his yard and donated a large number of landscaping stones with which to make a raised flower bed.

Barb and Frank have worked tirelessly measuring, laying stone, filling with soil, planting flowers and watering to bring this project to fruition.  As you may know (and will hear more about here later), we are having a drought and have only received 1/2 inch of rain in the past five weeks.  Always a man with a plan, Frank tied a rain barrel onto the back of this truck and drives it down to this lot so that Barb can water her new flowers.




Many, many people comment about the flowers and they always give me the credit.  Newsflash:  I had nothing to do with it (other than sending positive thoughts and stopping by occasionally to lend moral support).   That being said, I know that Barb and Frank would appreciate help watering the flowers and mowing the lawn if anyone would pitch in to help.  

We've talked about putting one of the SACG rain barrels near these flower beds if the autobody store will let us hang a gutter from their building (to catch rain off the roof to the painting shop), but I've heard nothing further . . ..   Since the SACG currently has two cherry trees on that lot and will this Fall have two peach trees, I think it makes sense to have a closer watering source.

P.S.  Barb and Frank are also taking care of the new tree in the median by the sidewalk along this lot . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete