Sunday, September 15, 2019

Children of the Corn

We survived the heat wave this week at the Stoddart Avenue Community Garden and have a few gallons left in our rain cisterns.  I do not expect any more rain until October, truth be told.  The neighborhood kids came by yesterday "to help."

I put them to work picking grapes for our weekly  Faith Mission donation.  They ate most of them and donated three grapes.  I then tasked them with helping John tidy his plot so that he could transplant some turnips that I had thinned earlier.  Then, I had them weed the cucumber patch so that we could plant some radish seeds that I've had in the shed since 2013.

Once they finished their work, I turned them loose in our corn patch.  They played hide and seek and enjoyed running up and down the rows.  It's only 150 square feet, so Lynds is not facing any real competition. But it's nearby and free.

They found a few leftover ears, so I gave one to John and they took the rest home.

No comments:

Post a Comment