|2012 Opening Day Volunteers|
|2011 Opening Day Crew|
|2010 Opening Day Crew|
The City Forestry Department called this morning to report that they will satisfy our wood chip need this year and will drop them off next week. Yippee.
|2010 Youth Volunteers with Compost and Chips|
Free Seeds for Volunteers. We received three or four times as many free seeds this year as we usually do. Instead of one or two garbage bags of last year's Botanical Interest seeds, I have five or six. One of my fellow Knitwits from Christ Lutheran Church in Bexley donated them in early March and they take up a quarter of my breakfast room. Around 3 or 3:30, I'll open the bag and volunteers can help themselves to as many seeds as they want for their SACG plot and backyard gardens. Please share so that everyone can have a bit of everything. After Saturday afternoon, I'll open up the seeds to any community garden to help themselves. We have a particular abundance of lettuce, peas, beans and flower seeds, but simply do not have sufficient room to store them on a long-term basis.
This is what we have planned:
|2010 Youth volunteers moving chips for garden paths|
Crew 1: Will use shovels, garden rakes and wheelbarrows and neighborhood kids
- Spread wood chips several inches thick along garden paths, around the strawberry patch, along the outer fence line and in the space between the alley and the Garden.
- Rake up compost from where bins used to be along southwestern portion of fence
- Distribute compost in the Garden
- Turn compost in bins and consolidate garden waste/leaves into one bin if possible
- Distribute compost in Garden
- Empty the 3 platform raised beds
- Moved the 3 platform raised beds to the northwest plot
- Attach the under stabilizer beams to the raised beds
- Level the platform raised beds
- Move the soil and re-fill the 3 platform raised beds (can use kids to help with this)
- Move the 4 regular raised beds to the northwest plot
- Consider relocating the twirling compost bin if necessary
- Move the soil and refill the 4 platform raised beds
- Detach the fence in the annex from the posts. Detangle raspberry canes.
- Move fence posts along Rayna's old plot and gate
- Re-attach fence in southwest corner of Garden
- Dig up raspberry bushes and replant them along new fence location
- Water in raspberry bushes
|2010 Youth Volunteers at Lunch Break|
- Improve appearance of compost bins by adding gates and evening out side boards
- Help Frank re-hang gates and sign
- Re-connect water tank on west side of BTBO
- Go help Crew 1 or 2
Crew 5: Neighborhood Improvement: Will use trash bags and litter grabbers and neighborhood kids.
- Pick up litter around the Garden
- Pick up considerable amount of litter in the Neighborhooda. Start with Stoddart Avenue
b. Then alley between Stoddart and Morrison
c. Then alley between Stoddart and Fairwood. Barb was already busy last weekend picking up litter on the Block-Watch garden lot.
The more the merrier. Be there or be square.