Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Spring’s Been a Long Time Comin’ This Year

The Stoddart Avenue Community Garden opened just in time for an extended cold snap.  I’m basically the only gardener who has planted anything so far.  (Ok, Rayna has put in one row of some onions or leeks and Amy claims to have planted some seeds).   But, warm weather is arriving tomorrow and I think that the snow is finally behind us.  I hope so because my tomato, broccoli, and cabbage seedlings are getting too big for their trays and need to be transplanted into larger containers soon. 

I’ve attached some more pictures from our Opening Day and that Susan took of our snow covered garden in March.

On the Wednesday after our opening day, we got a lot of rain.  However, I beat the rain drops by about ten minutes and got my potatoes and peas into the ground and transplanted a sage plant into our herb garden and a peony bush that I divided from my back yard.   Sadly, I was in such a hurry to beat the rain that I forgot to bring my Epson salt with me.  At March’s GCGC meeting, Marge from the SVDP Garden had recommended putting Epson salt into the trench to help the potatoes.   After an extremely cold Saturday (which made me glad that I declined OSU’s offer of students for April 9), I returned on Sunday afternoon to plant some lettuce, spinach, cilantro and onions.  I also tried to dig out some of our new tulips that got covered with wood chips. 

While I was there, neighbors Kevin, Jaden and Micayla stopped by and offered to help.  Kevin and I installed our front gate.  Then Micayla helped me to plant my lettuce, onions and spinach before we selected a raised bed for her and planted two red potatoes.  It was still pretty chilly, so I decided to call it a day and return to my house to mow, etc.   With all of these plants in the ground, I was delighted with the 24 hours of rain that we received on Monday.

On Thursday, Robert from Keep  Columbus Beautiful called about having some vegetable seeds available.  So, off I went to pick up carrots and other vegetable seeds for our gardeners.  We also talked about heirloom beans and our plans for Earth Day (which is coming up).   He’s also found a large group of volunteers for us in June, which is always very helpful and appreciated.

This weekend is DeMonye’s annual perennial sale – something I never miss.  In fact, I tend to go as soon as it opens.  In addition to great flowers, there are often perennial herbs for sale as well.

Tonight I hope to get potatoes planted in a food pantry plot, as well as kale seeds.  (I’ve already put my Epson salt into my car so that I don’t forget it again).   Then, on Saturday, I’ll start putting my cabbage, broccoli and similar seedlings in the ground.  Tonight is predicted to be the last cold night until next Fall.  We shall see.   We’ve had an unusually windy April and my portable greenhouse has been blown over several times.  I weigh it down with full clay pots (which are now all broken).   Fortunately, unlike past years, I’ve been more careful about putting my seedlings into the greenhouse when it’s windy.  So, I haven’t lost any seedlings yet and haven’t gotten them mixed up (when they fall out of the trays during a windy mishap).  

On Saturday, I hope to also get our sign up over our front gate and to reposition our benches.  The legs are so buried in our wood chips that you’re basically squatting when you sit down.    Speaking of wood chips, I’d like to thank again Tree King for donating our wood chips this year.  This is our second year of lucking into lots of nice-smelling pine chips. 

I’ve got more sage plants to share from my home garden.  They are fairly large (i.e., they are not seedlings).   Just let me know if you’ll put them to good use.  They smell so good, but there’s only so much sage a girl can use and there are other herbs that need that space . . . . . .
 
With the several night-time freezes that we've had this week, I'm anxious to see if we get any cherries, peaches or strawberries this year . . . .  Keep your fingers crossed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment