Saturday, April 17, 2010

SACG Heroes of the Day



We're ready for our Earth Day celebration today. We will be building three raised garden beds, transplanting strawberries and planting flowers beginning at 10 a.m. and will finish around 2 p.m.


To prepare for this adventure, I borrowed BTBO's truck to pick up free compost from Kurtz Brothers, landscaping stones and topsoil. Kurtz Brothers donated the compost to any community garden participating in today's Earth Day festivities. However, this was an exhausting adventure because I had more trouble unloading the compost than anticipated. First, I couldn't get the truck's gate open and then it was more compacted than I anticipated. Then, I lost some keys in the compost pile. I never would have been able to finish if Priest hadn't come by and helped me (using a tiny snow shovel that I keep in my car for emergencies). Then, Warren came by and helped me finish.


On Thursday, Dwain and Lawrence helped me unload the landscaping stones and top soil. (Here they are standing in front of all of the stones we unloaded).


Green Columbus gave me some goodies to distribute to today's volunteers, including bottled water, coupons for free stuff at the Earth Day celebration at Franklin Park Conservatory on April 22, and tattoos that can be used for discounts at several local businesses.


See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment