Sunday, January 8, 2012

Winter Squash Winter Recipes



I am about to fall into a deep food coma from eating too much for lunch. (This is by way of explanation in case this article seems a little abrupt).


Faithful readers know that I like to grow or buy food cheap and preserve it to eat later. The last couple of weeks I’ve been putting my butternut squash to good use. (I bought it at Lynd’s in October for $1 per squash and it now sells at the grocery for $1/pound). I made vegetarian chili in November, squash soup just before Xmas and today I made squash and pepper quesadillas. Oh my.


Squash Soup
1. To chop your squash. Cut off the bottom so that it will be flat. Then take a serrated apple peeler/grater to scrape off the tough squash skin like you would peel a potato or apple. Scoop out the seeds and scrape out the stringy seed pod with a grapefruit spoon. Then chop up the orange squash flesh with a knife on the cutting board. The squash should be chopped into ½ inch pieces. There will be a lot of squash. You might want to save half of it for another recipe.
2. Cut up one onion and sauté it in the pot until it is soft. If you like ginger, add some grated ginger.
3. I generally roast the squash in the oven until it is soft, but you can also microwave it for about 9-10 minutes. (If you use the microwave, drain it the bowl before you move to the next step). You can also skip this step entirely and just spend more time at next step.
4. Mix the squash with a pint of chicken or vegetable stock on softened onions. I’ve even added the cooked pulp from one sweet potato. Simmer at medium heat until it’s very soft. You can even add a can of coconut milk to give it a tropical bounce.
5. When it is soft, you can puree it. I used to pour it into my blender, but one of my Xmas gifts to myself this year was a puree wand so that I can puree it in the pot. Excellent appliance.
6. Add herbs of your choice. I think thyme goes with everything.
7. Pour into a bowl and add a dollop of sour cream to serve.



Squash Quesadillas



I found a recipe in a 30-Minute Supper Magazine published by America’s Test Kitchen. I was a little dubious, but it the sweet squash compliments the spicy roasted peppers quite well.


1. To chop your squash. Cut off the bottom so that it will be flat. Then take a serrated apple peeler/grater to scrape off the tough squash skin like you would peel a potato or apple. Scoop out the seeds and scrape out the stringy seed pod with a grapefruit spoon. Then chop up the orange squash flesh with a knife on the cutting board. The squash should be chopped into ½ inch pieces. You only need one pound of chopped squash, which is one small or ½ large squash.
2. Microwave the squash in a covered bowl for 8 minutes. Drain. (I then threw this in the refrigerator and went to church and finished the recipe when I returned from the grocery store).
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (I used cast iron, but you could use a non-stick). After the oil is shimmering, pour in the squash and cover with the splatter guard. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash starts to brown.
4. Throw in 4 roasted poblano peppers that you’ve already seeded and chopped. If you had a bad pepper harvest this year like I did, you can substitute a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (which you’ve also chopped). My substitution was a spicier than the original recipe contemplated.
5. Throw in a ½ chopped cilantro and mix. You can season with salt and pepper if you’re in the mood.
6. Transfer the squash mixture back to the bowl you previously used to microwave the squash in and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
7. Place a tortilla on a plate and sprinkle an equal mixture of pepper jack and feta cheese over the left half of the tortilla – being sure to leave a ½ border around the edge. Top with a couple large scoops of the squash mixture and then fold over the right half of tortilla and press firmly. Repeat.
8. Place the two folded and filled tortillas in the empty skillet and cook until golden and crisp. (Pay attention here because it will not take more than two minutes). Flip with a spatula when you notice the cheese has melted and try not to lose any of the filling in the process.
9. Remove from skillet and place them on your plate or a cutting board.
10. Top with sour cream when you serve them.
11. Curl up for nap.

As I mentioned, my version was very spicy and required lots of cold liquid refreshment.



Makes 8 half quesadillas.



Like many orange foods, winter squash is high in Vitamin A.

No comments:

Post a Comment