Thursday, November 3, 2011

Vegetarian Chili with Chard



Tonight at the GCGC meeting, as I was again talking endlessly about myself and what I had for dinner, I mentioned that I had made vegetarian chili on Sunday so that I could have it for lunch or dinner for the rest of the week. When I mentioned that it contained chard (one of a garden’s most prolific and nutritious vegetables), a few heads perked up and glazed-over eyes suddenly focused and asked me to go in more detail. No worries, I said, I’ll just put it on the website when I get home. So here it is:

This is modified from a recipe on the epicurious.com website, which borrowed it from
Bon Appetit.

Makes 8 bowels

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of EVOO
2-1/2 cups chopped onion
3 chopped garlic cloves
2-1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
6 cups black beans (pre-soaked or canned)
2 1-/2 cups vegetable (or turkey) stock
2 pints diced tomatoes with juice
3 cups packed coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (about 5 large leaves)

Directions

1. Pre-soak the beans the night before.
2. To chop your squash. Cut off the bottom so that it will be flat. Then take a serrated apple peeler/grater to scrape off the tough squash skin like you would peel a potato. Scoop out the seeds and scrape out the stringy seed pod with a grapefruit spoon. Then chop up the orange squash flesh with a knife on the cutting board. The squash should be chopped into ½ inch pieces. I still had a lot left over after I filled 2-1/2 cups and I saved the extra to make some pureed squash soup later.
3. Heat oil in heavy large pot (like a Dutch oven) over medium high heat
4. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until tender and golden.
5. Add squash and stir for 2 minutes.
6. Add chili powder, cumin, beans, vegetable stock and tomatoes (with juice).
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender.
9. Stir in chard and simmer for about five minutes.
10. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Ladle into bowls and serve. You can spruce it up with sour cream, fresh cilantro, chopped red onions and grated cheddar cheese.




The beans make it very filling and satisfying.

1 comment: