Friday, August 5, 2011

Picking Cucumbers Before They Turn Yellow



This is the first year that I have been able to grow cucumbers in any quantity. I’ve already canned 3 pints of kosher dill pickles and eaten a few just for grins and giggles. It has not always been so, and thus, I rarely have any words of wisdom for gardeners with struggling cucumbers. In our first year at the SACG, Mitch had some interesting looking yellow cucumbers growing up a trellis. We could not decide if it was a special variety or if it had just rotted on the vine. Knowing him; either was likely. This Wednesday, I belatedly discovered some yellow cucumbers in the food pantry patch which I had apparently overlooked when harvesting the prior Saturday. This caused me to research the age-old question:


Are yellow cucumbers edible?


The answer: No (unless you are growing round, lemon cucumbers – which I am not).


So, faithful readers, be careful looking under your large green leaves for those sneaky green cucumbers because in this heat, they will turn yellow before you visit your garden patch again and you won’t be able to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment